Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Couldn't Find You...

We just got back from a vacation to the beach. Life gets really busy, really quickly and we as a family realized that we needed to get away for a bit to just have some family time.

While there, my wife mentioned that she wanted to see the sunrise over the ocean one morning. I set my alarm, got up early, fixed coffee, then gently woke her. We stepped out on our balcony quietly letting the kids sleep. It was very peaceful just sitting out there beside my wife, sipping coffee and watching the sun rise over the ocean. It was a beautiful, wonderful moment.

The moment was broken by a cry from inside the room. It wasn't a "hurt" cry, it was a whine. More of an upset cry. I got up and opened the door to see my 7 year old son sitting on our bed somewhat crying. He looked up and saw me, wiped the tears away as he came over to me and hugged me tightly. "What's wrong, buddy?" I asked. "I couldn't find you." he said with his arms holding me tightly. I just held him tightly and said, "I'm right here."

It reminded me of the many times in the book of Psalms that David cries out to God when he couldn't find him.

Psalm 13:1 LORD, how long will You forget me? Forever? How long will You hide Your face from me?

Psalm 27:9 Do not hide Your face from me; do not turn Your servant away in anger. You have been my helper; do not leave me or abandon me, God of my salvation.

Psalm 69:17 Don’t hide Your face from Your servant, for I am in distress. Answer me quickly!

Psalm 88:14 LORD, why do You reject me? Why do You hide Your face from me?

Psalm 102:2 Do not hide Your face from me in my day of trouble. Listen closely to me; answer me quickly when I call.

Psalm 143:7 Answer me quickly, LORD; my spirit fails. Don’t hide Your face from me, or I will be like those going down to the Pit.

How about us? When we can't find God, (or for us, when we feel as thought He isn't close or active in our lives) are we that distressed? Do we call out for God? Are we brought to tears?

Maybe the real question here is, what is our relationship with God really like? If it is distant most of the time, being away from Him may not seem like a big deal. What is your relationship with God like?

Just something to think about.

In Christ,
jon walton

No comments:

Post a Comment