Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Orange or Red?

We usually go out to eat on Sundays for lunch after church with friends, family, or just about anyone who will come. I love being around people, talking, and finding out about people and what is going on in their lives. It is just enjoyable to me and my family to get to know people on a deeper level than just "Hi, how are you?"
As we were getting ready to leave the restaurant at one such occasion, my son began asking, "Dad, do you have any money?" He wanted quarters for the turn machines with small toys or candy in them. "No, I don't buddy" I said checking my pockets, "but you really don't need anything do you?" Not being detoured by my comment he turns to the other source of happiness in his life available, "Mom, do you have any money?" I heard him ask as they walked to the door and I waited in line to pay. After paying for the food, I meet them at the door, my son had a handful of candy. "I got bones, dad!" he explained with enthusiasm showing me all his candy shaped like dog bones. " We stood and talked a bit more as we were saying our goodbyes to our friends, then went to our respective vehicles. It was at my truck where my son amazed me again.
"Orange or red, dad?" my son said pretty randomly as I was opening the truck door for him to get in. "Orange." I said simply because it was the first thing that popped into my head. Smiling, my son handed me a tiny orange candy bone, then put the red one he still had in his mouth. It was and unprovoked act of kindness on his part. An act of kindness to someone who just moments ago told him he didn't need the candy, yet he was showing love anyway.
Who was the last person who told you "no"? Have you chosen to show them love anyway? Who was the last person to be mean to you? Have you chosen to show them love anyway? Who was the last person to let you down? Have you chosen to show them love anyway?

And be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving one another, just as God also forgave you in Christ.
-Ephesians 4:32

In Christ,
jon walton

Back to Crossroads Home Page

No comments:

Post a Comment