Sunday, September 6, 2009

Master...

I think it is odd that words have such profound effects on how we respond to different situations. For example, if someone refers to something as junk, it is typically not taken care of as well. However that same object to someone else can be referred to as their prized possession, and it is cared for with utter concern. So here is my question: How do we treat people when we refer to them with words with meaningless connotations, verses referring to the same people with words that give them significance? How would you change the tone of your voice when talking to or about that person who is a Veteran who fought in 2 wars for the freedom of our country, not "that homeless guy sitting against the building?" How would you change your actions when you talk to or about that girl who has given so much time volunteering for the community, giving of herself and thinking of others instead of "that girl who got pregnant by mistake?" How would you think about that person when you refer to them as that person who needs Jesus Christ in their life, not "that drunk?"
Allow me to give a personal example. A few weeks ago, pastor Rick talked about how the word "Lord" really means "Master." It got me thinking about how when we say "Lord" for many of us it doesn't mean "Master." So, I began praying "Master" instead of "Lord." It changed my prayer life. Instead of praying to Jesus Christ and giving a shopping list, (Lord, please give me this; Lord, please do this for me today; etc) I would suddenly realize my place. Slave of Jesus Christ. He is the one in control, I am the servant.
So how do you refer to people? To friends? To your spouse? To your Master?

Slave of Jesus Christ,
jon walton

No comments:

Post a Comment