Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How Much Is Enough?

One of the things I always do when we go somewhere like a concert or show, whether it is with the youth group or personal, is look around at the people and watch for a moment. You should try it sometime, you see some interesting stuff. At many youth events you can see parents who even though they can't stand the music being played, they have made the trip so their children may enjoy it. You can see the kids who were drug along for the ride and would rather be home than there. You can see that crazy fan who is screaming at the top of their lungs when their favorite band comes on and begins jumping, raising their hands, ANYTHING to get some attention. It is always interesting what you can see.

While at Spiritsong, one of these events, I was looking at the audience. As I was panning the crowd, I saw something that made me freeze. Close to the back sat a mentally handicapped man who, while even though full grown in body, was not mentally. What caught my attention to him was not his handicap though, it was him as a person. As he sat there near the back he waved a light stick, clapped along with every song, from time to time raised his hands in worship, and smiled the entire time. He was truly more than content, he was overjoyed. Nothing in the world mattered to him except for the fact that he was listening to great music and praising God.

It took so little to please him, yet I was concerned with us having to walk a short distance to the park each day. I was concerned with our seats not being good enough(though we were at least 20 in front of this man). I was concerned with so much that didn't matter. "How much is enough?" I asked myself.

Your life should be free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for He Himself has said, I will never leave you or forsake you.
-Hebrews 13:5

Are you content? Do you have "enough"?

In Christ,
jon walton

No comments:

Post a Comment