Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Gave In To Temptation...

There are times in everyone's life when the temptation to do something you know you shouldn't arises. It can happen almost anywhere at any time. It can be a slow process or can happen almost instantly. This happened to me just recently.

I was somewhere I didn't "need" to be. I was doing something I didn't "need" to be doing. And then it hit me. Temptation. I saw something I wanted, but I knew was not good for me. At first, I tried to brush it off and ignore it. Yet, no matter how hard I tried, the thought of it kept coming back and I wanted it more and more. I went back and looked at it again. The longer I looked, the more I wanted it. I started justifying reasons it was ok to get it. I deserve it. Its been a long time since I had it. I'm not really hurting anyone. No one has to know about it. None of the reasons were really valid, but they were eventually enough. I came to the place where I was willing to accept the consequences of my actions. I was willing to accept the long term bad for the temporary good. I gave in to temptation.

There is something I did not do that I should have. I never once asked Jesus to step in and help. I never thought about scripture. I never prayed. We have help available, but we must choose to reach out for it.

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it. - 1 Cor. 10:13

If I would have looked for an exit, I'm sure I would have found one. But I never did. I wanted what I saw.

Always look for the exit.

In Christ,
jon walton

P.S. What was I temped by? Where was I that I should not have been when I should not have been? I was at Walmart, after MANday night, with a sweet tooth. And the Oreos just looked too good...

No comments:

Post a Comment