Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Overwhelmed...

There are certain moments in life that will stick with you. They may be life changing events, powerful words spoken to you, or actions taken by someone that took you by surprise. They are moments that overwhelm you with emotions. Moments that make everything else just disappear. One of these moments happened to me Sunday and I will forever remember the power in that moment.

After pastor Rick delivered a powerful message, I knew I needed to repent of a sin that keeps creeping up in my life. I was sick of it coming back and I wanted to give it up again. I wanted to do more than lay it down, I wanted to sacrifice it on an altar before my God. I know you can repent anywhere, but there is something about physically getting up out of my seat and walking down front to kneel before God. It is an admittance that I am not perfect. That I, a pastor, still mess up and need redemption.

When I knelt down at the front of the room, something happened that I did not expect. I felt a hand on my back. I don't know why this took me by such surprise. I pray with people all the time. Then I felt another, and then another. I was thankful, but again this shocking to me for some reason. I couldn't help it, I glanced up to see who had come to help carry my burden. Who I saw overwhelmed me.

Three of my youth girls.

Three girls I have been leading, teaching, calling, praying with, and pouring into for the past four years. Three girls I have a great love for and I have seen growing spiritually. All three had already faced so much in their short lives. All three had their hands on my back, helping their youth pastor carry a burden. I was overwhelmed.

My prayer of repentance quickly shifted to a prayer of thankfulness. God had shown me in a powerful way that not only He was with me, but He had put people in my life that would help carry my weight.

To these three young women of faith that came forward, I want you to know that the love of Jesus shined out from you Sunday. Just as Paul wrote this to the church of the Thessalonians, I write this to you:

We(I) always thank God for all of you, remembering you constantly in our(my) prayers. - 1 Thes. 1:2

In Christ,
jon walton


No comments:

Post a Comment