Monday, December 20, 2010

A Hug...

I have recently been talking to a lot of hurting people. Some people in financial need, some people going through difficult circumstances, some people who have been hurt physically, some people who have bee hurt emotionally, and some people who have made unwise choices and now reaping the consequences. Part of who Christ has made is is to truly care about those I come in contact with. When each person has told me all the pain they are facing, my heart has truly broke for them. They are trying to make sense of what has happened to them and looking for hope.

In almost every case, when they are truly hurting, I have noticed something. A hug can turn a hopeless situation into the beginnings of the solution. There is something about a hug from a friend or loved one that helps. It is comforting. It is peaceful. It is a feeling of being safe. When you are being hugged, you feel protected from the outside world. It lets others know you care about what is going on with them. It helps them see there is hope.

I am not perfect, but I am trying daily to be more like Christ. So just as He brings me comfort when I need it, I will strive to bring others comfort when they need it.

He comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any kind of affliction, through the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
-2 Corinthians 1:4

May you be hugged when needed, and may you hug when needed.

In Christ,
jon walton

No comments:

Post a Comment