Friday, January 15, 2010

Calling the Cows...

I live on a small farm next door to my Mother & Father in law on one side and my Brother and Sister in law on the other. We all get along well and help each other often. Having family like that is great. My Father in law is gone on vacation and he asked me to feed the cows while he is away. I agreed and every evening this week I have been putting out grain for them.

Now, the cows need to be there when I put out the grain. There is no feeding trough, so the grain is dumped straight on the ground. If the cows aren't there when you put the grain out, it will ruin overnight on the ground and the cows won't eat it when they come check. Why is this a problem? Well, my father in law works nights. I work days. These cows are accustomed to eating in the morning. I am feeding them in the evening. Cows, being creatures of habit, don't naturally come up to the feeding area in the evening. So, you have to "call" them.

I am sure there are several "calls" for cows, but as I grew up I learned one from my grandmother. I don't know that I can type out the sound I make, but if you ask me sometime I'll say it for you. At any rate, when I got ready to feed the cows, I would call them. The first night, no cows came at the initial call. In fact, I am sure these cows were all together somewhere wondering what this crazy person making an odd sound was. So I walked to the edge of the field with the feeding bucket in hand, still making the call. As the cows noticed me, more importantly the feeding bucket, they began to run to me. I walked them to the feeding area, still making the call.

The second night, three of the nine cows came when I called. As they came, they "moo'ed" telling the others "DINNER TIME!" By the third night, these cows had learned when they hear my call food was on its way. They had learned my voice and what it meant.

Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me."(John 10:27) When the cows didn't know my voice, they didn't know I was wanting them to come and eat. They didn't understand what I was saying. As I taught them, they understood and followed. Are we really so different? For those of us who know our Shepherd, do we know His voice? He calls us. He warns us when we are going into danger. He has given us His Word(the Bible) to learn His voice and His calls. Have we taken advantage of that? Don't ignore His calls. He may just be wanting to feed us.

In Christ,
jon walton

No comments:

Post a Comment