Friday, November 6, 2009

No, No, Don't Do That.

Yesterday I called up a friend and invited him out to lunch. To my surprise, when we got ready to pay he said, "I got this." My natural response was the same when I have offered to buy his, "No, no, don't do that."

This is an odd custom we have in America. Maybe it's just in the south, i'm not sure, but this refusal of a gift. It's weird when you think about it. Why are we so hesitant, or even standoffish, when someone wants to do something nice for us? I think it comes from the feeling of "If they do something nice for me, I HAVE to do something nice for them." When did that start? I thought a gift was something FREELY given. When I went to Brazil on a mission trip a few years ago, one of the things they told us was, "If someone offers you something, do not refuse it. Take it and say 'Thank you.' The take offense to someone refusing a gift."

This Sunday we are putting our Faith into Act!on. We are canceling our 11:00 AM service and serving the community. We will be handing out food boxes, cutting hair, giving medical exams, and more. I can promise you no one showing up for help will be saying "No, no, don't do that." These people will be taking everything we are willing to give. You know what the incredible thing about that is? When we give because of the love we have for Jesus, we are the ones who get blessed. So many people don't get that, but when you do you start looking for ways to help others out.

May your gifts be given freely with no expection of something in return. And may others bless you without your refusal.

In Christ,
jon walton

back to CrossroadsNewport.com

No comments:

Post a Comment