Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Note To Parents...

I got a call to go help a youth change a tire recently. This girl has had a pretty difficult life and no father figure to speak of. She had called around and no one in her family (mom, grandma, etc.) knew how to change a tire. I was kind of her last hope. I had promised my son that I would spend the day with him, so instead of going on my own I asked him to join me. He was excited to go along!


When we got there, I asked him, “Do you want to help and learn how to change a tire?” At first he whined. Mainly because he was playing in my iPad and didn’t want to stop, but I convinced him to stop and help. I was also thinking of this girl who didn’t know how to change a tire. With no father figure, she really had no one to teach her. So I was showing them both how to loosen the lug nuts, where to place the jack, how to operate it. I was proud of my son. He jumped in and got his hand dirty, helped jack up the car, took off and put back on the lug nuts, and did it all with a smile. He helped serve this girl as much as I did and learned more than just how to change a tire. We got her set and on her way, then went to a birthday party that night.



A Note To Parents...

No comments:

Post a Comment