Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Don't You Know What I've Been Through?

I was thinking of a situation that happened to a couple of friends of mine not long ago. I'll give you the quick recap. Also, it should be known that both friends openly say they are following Jesus Christ. We will call them Bob and Jane to keep it clear. No, those are not their real names, heh.

Jane cursed in a public setting.
Bo said that Jane shouldn't use language like that. Bob did this in the same public setting
Jane responded that if Bob had been through what Jane had, he would curse too. Jane said Bob shouldn't pass judgment on her and Bob was wrong for doing so.
Bob and Jane are no longer friends.

As I thought about this situation, I can see where both Bob and Jane where not handling the situation very well, however one thing really stood out to me. Since when does going through something difficult make it ok to not be Christlike if you are redeemed by Jesus? Are we still not ambassadors for Jesus if things are hard? Are the consequences different if we are going through a difficult season in our lives? Absolutely not! But this is a pretty common thought isn't it?

Now don't get me wrong, I am not passing judgment on Jane. I think we all make mistakes and we all defiantly NEED grace and forgiveness. However, a difficult situation does not justify or excuse ungodly behavior. Basic reality is that we are called to be different than those who are not following Christ. We are called to be above reproach, regardless of what we are going through. 1 John 2:1 puts describes this notion wonderfully:

"My little children, I am writing you these things so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ the righteous One"

Just something to think about.

In Christ,
jon walton
back to C3

No comments:

Post a Comment