Friday, June 25, 2010

Selfless...

On Father's Day Missy, Isaiah, and I went to her parents house to spend time with her dad and family. We had a great time just sitting, eating and talking. When we got ready to leave, Isaiah (my son) wanted to walk home. We are neighbors so its not a long walk. I was happy to spend some time with my son, so I accompanied him. On the way, he saw a dandelion. "Dad! Dad! I have to make a wish!" He exclaimed as he bent down an picked it. He has been saving his money from chores and gifts to get a new Nintendo DS game, so I assumed that would be what he was going to wish for, but still I thought it was a cute moment with my son. I would never have guessed the words that would come out of his little mouth. He closed his eyes, held the weed close to his mouth and said:

"I wish my dad would have a great Father's Day."

Then he blew as hard as he could, causing only about 3 of the seeds to release their grip from the stem. Not to be defeated, he quickly shook the rest of them off!

I was touched. I almost cried. I bent down and hugged him and said, "Thank you buddy. That made my Father's Day great."

God continues to teach me through my son. Seems like I heard a sermon about thinking of others before yourself recently. Pastor Rick used this scripture that fits this situation pretty well I think:

Do nothing out of rivalry or conceit, but in humility consider others as more important than yourselves. - Philippians 2:3

Thank you, God, for my amazing family You have given me.

In Christ,
jon walton

No comments:

Post a Comment